Peach, caramelized onion & goat cheese crostini
What to do with one perfectly ripe peach?
We are nearing the end of peach season and my family can't get enough of them. I keep buying bags of peaches thinking I will make a peach crumble, but sometime between coming home from the market and when I finally get around to making the crumble they disappear. So sadly, no peach crumble yet this season.
If you can't seem to keep enough ripe peaches on hand for a crumble, this is the perfect answer for what to do with one perfectly ripe peach.
Crostini and bruschetta
Crostini and bruschetta are two of my family's favorite appetizers. Wondering what the difference between crostini and bruschetta is? Check out my post for the answers.
The caramelized onions can be made a day or two in advance and the goat cheese, honey and rosemary mixture can also be mixed ahead of time. When you mash the goat cheese and honey together don't completely mix it. Instead go for veins of honey running through the cheese. This way your tongue can differentiate between the tart goat cheese and sweet honey in every bite.
- 1 T olive oil, plus more for bread
- 2 medium onions, sliced in rings
- 5½ ounces goat cheese, softened
- 1 T fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 T honey
- Fresh ground pepper
- 8½" slices french bread, sliced diagonaly
- 1 peach cut into 16 slices
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat. When the pan is hot add 1 T olive oil. When oil is hot add onion rings and stir to coat onions in oil. Reduce heat to medium and cook stirring occasionally until caramelized, about 30 minutes. Can be made a day or two in advance.
- In a small bowl mash the goat cheese with a fork. Add rosemary and honey and roughly mix so the honey is marbleized throughout the cheese. The goal is to have veins of honey running through the cheese. Can be made a day or two in advance.
- Position the oven racks 6" below the broiler. Heat the broiler to high. Brush the bread slices with olive oil and place on a broiler pan. Broil on each side until lightly toasted.
- Spread each slice of bread with the cheese mixture. Top with caramelized onions and a slice of peach.