Strawberry mint & cucumber martini
When strawberries are ripe, juicy and at their peak, I want to put them in everything - salads, oatmeal, desserts and cocktails. A few good strawberries makes everything better. And did you know, strawberries are really good for you? See my post to learn the health benefits of eating strawberries as well as how to buy and store them.
What you need to muddle strawberry cocktails
Muddled strawberries make for a delicious cocktail. The best muddlers have a nylon tip, like this one. You also need a cocktail shaker. There are a lot of ornate ones on the market, but I like these inexpensive and functional shakers. If you plan on serving multiple people, I recommend investing in multiple shakers and muddlers. Why? Muddling several drinks is hard work for one person, so unless you want a really good arm workout why not put your guests to work? Muddling cocktails is a fun group activity that gets the party going. I like to have at least one muddler and cocktail shaker for every two people. Check out my post on everything you need to know to begin hand crafting cocktails.
Get our free cookbook: 15 Recipes That Will Make You Look Like A Star
Nothing is better than a delicious strawberry. Check out my post to learn more about the nutritional value of these tasty berries, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of eating organic strawberries. You will need to adjust the simple sugar depending on how sweet your strawberries are.
You can use gin or vodka for this cocktail. I personally like the floral notes of Hendrick's gin.
- ½ lime, cut in three wedges
- 5 slices cucumber, one for garnish
- 4 - 5 ripe strawberries, one for garnish
- 5-6 leaves mint, plus one sprig for garnish
- Handful of ice
- 2 ounces Hendrick's gin
- ½ ounce simple sugar to taste
- Using a nylon tipped muddler, muddle three lime wedges in bottom of a cocktail shaker until they release their juices. Add cucumber, strawberries and mint and muddle again. The goal is to break up the mint into little pieces that will float in the finished cocktail.
- Add ice, gin, simple sugar and thoroughly shake vigorously until the outside of the shaker is frosted and condensed. Taste and adjust simple sugar as needed.
- Strain cocktail into a chilled martini glass and garnish rim with a strawberry, a lime wheel, a cucumber wheel and a sprig of mint.
THIS SERVES WELL WITH