Ginger smash Christmas cocktail
The perfect holiday cocktail
My daughter's friend Cassidy introduced me to this very tasty cocktail. She had to convince me to try it as I am not a bourbon fan. Trust me it is delicious. You start with muddled lemon, fresh ginger and mint, shake it with a jigger of Maker's Mark and a splash of agave in a cocktail shaker. Pour into an ice-filled highball glass and top with a splash of ginger beer. Perfection! When we served Ginger Smashes last Christmas I was told by several guests this was the best cocktail they ever had.
Christmas cocktail garnish
If you are serving Ginger Smashes for Christmas, garnish them with a sprig of mint, a piece of candied ginger and a cranberry skewered on a toothpick. You will need a cocktail shaker and a muddler for this recipe. Read my mixology post before you roll up your sleeves and start muddling. See how to peel ginger to make preparation easier.
There are two tools you need to make this cocktail:
And a cocktail muddler
This nylon-tipped muddler by Arctic Chill is sturdy and easy to use.
An optional tool is a sphere ice mold, which keeps your cocktail chilled with minimal dilution.
- 1 " piece of peeled ginger, skinned and cut into 3 slices
- 10 mint leaves plus one sprig
- ½ lemon, cut into 3 wedges
- 1 jigger Maker's Mark
- Splash of agave, to taste
- Slash of ginger beer
- 1 piece of candied ginger (optional)
- 1 fresh cranberry (optional)
- Muddle your mint leaves and ginger slices together in the bottom of a cocktail shaker, until mint leaves are broken into pieces and the ginger is smashed.
- Add lemon wedges and continue to muddle until the lemons have released their juices.
- Fill shaker with ice cubes. Add Maker's Mark and agave. Cover the shaker and shake vigorously until the outside of the shaker is cold and covered with condensation.
- Strain the liquid from the shaker through the perforated lid of the shaker or through a Hawthorne strainer into your ice-filled high ball glass. Really give it a good shake to get most of the liquid out, but keep the residual ice, lemon, ginger and mint in the shaker.
- Top with a splash of ginger beer. Skewer the cranberry and candied ginger with a toothpick and garnish with cranberry, candied ginger and a sprig of mint.