Rice Krispie treats Samoas-style
A nod to favorite Girl Scout cookies
My daughter Margo recently concocted two versions of Rice Krispie treats in honor of her favorite Girl Scout cookies: Samoas and Tagalongs. Margo started with Deb Perelman's (Smitten Kitchen) Salted Brown Butter Crispy Treats then she re-imagined them as Girl Scout cookies. I had to laugh when I read Deb Perelman's recipe. She ends her recipe with "Let cool, cut into squares and get ready to make new friends." Which reminded me of the old Girl Scout song:
Make new friends, but keep the old
One is silver and other's gold
Toasting the coconut
To toast the coconut heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the coconut out on a baking sheet and put in the oven. Take the pan out after 3 minutes, stir and return to the oven, checking and stirring in one-minute increments until the coconut is golden brown. I like to toast the entire bag of coconut at once and then store it in a ziplock bag so I always have pre-toasted coconut available.
Browning the butter
Browning butter is a little tricky the first time you do it. Margo uses a large Le Creuset Dutch oven to make these bars. The heavy-bottomed pan does a good job of evenly browning the butter and is large enough to hold all the Rice Krispies, making this a one-pot dessert. More importantly, the Le Creuset pan has a light-colored interior which is essential in browning butter because it allows you to very clearly see the color of the butter. This is important because the butter can go from brown to burnt very quickly. Buzzfeed food has a very good demonstration on how to brown butter here. I highly recommend you check it out before you brown your butter.
Click to download our free e-cookbook: 15 Recipes To Make You Look Like A Star
These bars are gluten-free.
More Rice Krispie recipes
You might also be interested in Margo's Rice Krispie treats Tagalong-style or my friend Denise's Rice Krispie treats.Print
Rice Krispie treats Samoas-style
Rice Krispie treats reincarnated as Samoas Girl Scout cookies.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 16 2" square bars 1x
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 1 T pieces
- 10 ounces miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 t Maldon sea salt
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup toasted sweetened coconut, divided
- 1 cup caramel squares
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Butter an 8″ square baking pan. In a large light-colored, heavy-bottomed pan melt the butter over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. About 30 seconds after the butter melts it will begin to foam. Keep stirring. Now the butter will start to take on color. When the butter is a bit lighter than you want it, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the marshmallows, stirring until they are melted and smooth. Sprinkle in salt and stir to incorporate.
- Stir in Rice Krispies and 1/2 cup of toasted coconut flakes. Spread the mixture in the bottom of buttered baking pan and use your hands to press the mixture down and create a flat surface. Set aside.
- In the microwave, melt the caramel squares by heating in 30-second intervals and stirring after each 30-second period until the caramel is melted and smooth. Quickly spread over the pan of Rice Krispies.
- In the microwave, melt the chocolate chips by heating in 30 second intervals and stirring after each 30-second period until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Quickly spread or drizzle over the layer of caramel. Sprinkle with remaining half cup of coconut. Cool and cut into squares.