Spinach and goat cheese quiche minis
Little crustless quiches
These are a variation on my potato quiche minis. I use some oven roasted tomatoes and frozen cut spinach for convenience.
These eat-with-your fingers little nuggets are perfect for serving for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. Make some extra ones to throw in your brown bag lunch the next day.
These are crustless quiches and they contain no flour and no gluten.
Don't be afraid of a little cream
Don't let the cream in this recipe scare you off. Check out my post on fat to learn where the latest science is going.
Click to download our free e-cookbook: 15 Recipes To Make You Look Like A Star
Roasted tomatoes are a staple in my house. I bring home a dozen or more roma tomatoes from the grocery store or farmer's market and pop them in the oven. If I have time, I slow-roast them for 3-4 hours. If I'm rushed, I quick-roast them in a hotter oven, as I do in this recipe. If you have time, slow roast them. You can do it a day or two in advance. You will find all kinds of uses for these yummy treats.
Mini popover pans
I use a mini-popover pan to bake these quiches. They are 2 1/4" wide by 2" deep. I highly recommend these pans for making popovers and Yorkshire pudding. You could use mini-muffin pans for the quiches, but they are not as deep. Therefore you may need to adjust the baking time down a few minutes.
If you like these quiche minis try my Potato mini-quiches. Or make up your own variation. The basic recipe uses 1 cup onions, 5 eggs, 6-8 ounces of cheese, 2 cups cream, 1 t salt. Use whatever cheese you have in the fridge and add about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of sauteed vegetables of your choice. Think mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, artichoke hearts, kale. A little bit of bacon, sausage or ham is also good.Print
Spinach and goat cheese quiche minis
Mini crustless quiches are the perfect finger food that can be served for breakfast, lunch, dinner and in between. Because there is no crust they are quick to prepare and gluten free.
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 20 servings 1x
- 10 roma tomatoes, sliced in half from stem to stern
- 1–2 T olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 T butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 5 eggs
- 1 10-ounce package frozen cut spinach, thawed and drained
- 6 ounces goat cheese
- 2 cups cream
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t red pepper flakes
- Pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Rub a little of the olive oil on the bottom of a roasting pan. Place the tomatoes halves on the pan cuts side up. Drizzle with olive oil and generously season with salt and pepper. Bake in oven 35-40 minutes. Remove and cool. Chop into 1/2″ chunks. You should have 3/4 to 1 cup of chopped roasted tomatoes for this recipe. Save any extras for other uses.
- Melt butter in a skillet, and saute onions until they just begin to brown, — about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Drain the spinach and press out as much moisture as you can. Put the spinach in a large bowl along with diced tomatoes, sauteed onions, eggs, spinach, cheese, cream, salt, red pepper flakes and pepper and stir to combine.
- Pour into buttered mini-popover pans, filling until 3/4’s full. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, until tops are brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool completely. Run a knife around the edge of each muffin to help it release from the pan.
THIS SERVES WELL WITH
I made these for our easter dinner; they were a huge hit with the family; looking forward to trying the different variations of the recipe.
So glad your family enjoyed them. I think you will like the potato minis too. Let us know if you come up with any great new mini quiche combinations!
Made these for a picnic. Absolutely delicious and didn’t need any cutlery to eat them!
That’s right. Just pop them in your mouth. So glad you enjoyed them!
Have made these for both a Bridal Shower & Baby Shower to
go alongside a salad – quickly devoured by the guests! So great
that they are a make ahead recipe….potato minis were perfect also!
So glad you and your guests enjoyed our mini quiches. They are a great choice for a shower!