Oven-roasted tomatoes for the time-pressed
While I prefer the results you get from slow-roasting tomatoes for 3-4 hours in a warm oven, when time is short, quick-roasting in a hot oven produces a very good product. Quick-roasted tomatoes are not quite as flavor-concentrated, and they are juicier than slow-roasted tomatoes. They are great as a side to steak or poultry.
Click to download our free e-cookbook: 15 Recipes To Make You Look Like A Star
Careful with your garlic
Skip chopping or slicing garlic for your quick-roasted tomatoes as the garlic will burn in the higher heat. See pictures to see what happens to sliced garlic when cooked in a hot 425 degree oven. If you really want roasted garlic, roast whole garlic instead of sliced or chopped garlic as the chopped garlic will burn in the hot oven. Roasting a whole head of garlic results in a squishy, delicious garlic paste that can be spread on baguettes and served with your roasted tomatoes.Print
Luscious flavor bombs, roasted tomatoes are perfect accompaniments to meat or poultry, stand-alone appetizers or add-ins to countless recipes. This hot-oven short cut, is great when you don’t have 3-4 hours to slow roast.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 24 halves 1x
- 1 dozen roma tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
- Olive oil
- 3 T rosemary, basil or thyme
- Sea salt
- 1–2 heads of garlic, optional
- Heat your oven to 425 degrees. Rub a little olive oil in the bottom of a roasting pan. Toss tomatoes with a generous splash of olive oil and sprinkle with herbs, salt and pepper. Turn tomato halves so they are all cut-side up in pan. Cook 30-45 minutes, checking every 15 minutes to insure they don’t burn.
- If you want to add roasted garlic to your recipe, slice the tip off of a head of garlic, place on a sheet of foil, splash on a bit of olive oil, replace the cut garlic tip and wrap in foil. toss the foil-wrapped garlic in the tomato pan and roast whole along side your tomatoes. The garlic will take 45 minutes to an hour and is done when inside is soft.
- If you have any leftovers, store in fridge covered in olive oil for about a week or freeze.
THIS SERVES WELL WITH
AMAZING!!! I made only four – so 8 halves – and wanted to eat them ALL straight from the oven. They are a TREAT!!! thank you!!!!
OOh- this sweet oven roasted tomatoes Full taste, beautiful colour,perfect salt so so so so wonderful and tasty oven roasted tomatoes.Those look so perfect! Thanks for the recipe!
So glad you enjoyed the tomatoes. If you really want something special, try my slow-roasted method. They take more time, but don’t require anymore work.