Modern roasted cucumber and tomato tea sandwiches
An afternoon cocktail party
Serve these flavorful open-faced tea sandwiches with hand-muddled Upper Eastsiders for a cocktail party, wedding shower. The colors are perfect for Christmas hors d'ouvres. Gin and cucumbers make a natural pairing. Plus gin is more fun than tea! Don't worry if your tomatoes are not summer fresh. Roasting tomatoes makes an out-of-season tomato fabulous. This recipe makes about 80 tea sandwiches. Feel free to adjust the quantities to the size of your crowd.
Get our free cookbook: 15 Recipes That Will Make You Look Like A Star
Make in advance
Follow recipe for slow-roasted tomatoes or quick-roasted tomatoes if you don't have the time to slow roast. Tomatoes and cucumbers can be roasted in advance. Feta-cheese mixture can also be made in advance and refrigerated for several days. You can make the individual sandwiches, or serve the cheese, baguettes and roasted vegetables on a platter and let your guests assemble their own.
Note: I call out only 45 minutes to make these sandwiches. That assumes you have roasted your tomatoes in advance, which I recommend. Roasting tomatoes is very easy, but it takes 1-4 hours depending on which method you use.
- 2 pounds Persian cucumbers
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 40 roasted tomato halves
- ¾ pound feta cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 T parsley, finely chopped
- 6 T mint, finely chopped
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 2 french baguettes, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put cucumbers in a roasting pan and splash with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast about 15 minutes, turning after 10 minutes, until cucumbers are starting to brown. Remove from oven and cool. Slice in half lengthwise, and then into thirds. Slices should be about the same size as your baguette slices, about 3" x 1."
- Crumble feta into a bowl and add garlic, herbs, lemon and a couple generous splashes of olive oil. Mix thoroughly. I use my hands and mush it all together. You can add a bit more olive oil if you need to get the cheese mixture to a spreadable consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread each baguette with a spoonful of the cheese mixture. Top half of the baguettes with a roasted tomato and the other half with a roasted cucumber. Arrange on a large platter, alternating cucumber and tomato sandwiches.