Brining - the best thing you can do for your turkey
Brining your turkey is the best way to insure a moist and delicious turkey. Brining covers a lot of mistakes, particularly overcooking. It is a challenge to get the dark meat, white meat and stuffing done all at the same time. For safety reasons you need to cook everything to an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Brining lets you cook everything up to 165 degrees without horribly drying out the meat that is cooked beyond 165 degrees.
Click to download our free e-cookbook: 3 Fabulous Turkey Recipes Guaranteed To Be Spectacular
Brine and rinse
For a whole turkey you should plan on brining between 12 and 24 hours. It is important that you rinse the turkey well after brining, or your turkey and stuffing will be very salty. Some advocate soaking the brined turkey in water for 15 to 20 minutes to thoroughly rinse the salt from the turkey. This recipe is enough for a 24 pound turkeyPrint
An easy and flavorful turkey brine that will insure your turkey is moist and delicious.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups kosher salt
- 2 cups brown suger
- 1 quart water
- 1 quart apple cider
- 2 quarts water
- Orange peel from 1-2 oranges
- 1 green apple sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 T peppercorns
- 1 small handful fresh thyme
- 1 small handful fresh sage
- 6 bay leaves
- Brining bag
- Ice chest
- Combination of block ice and ice cubes
- Put salt, brown sugar and 4 cups water in a large pot. Bring to a boil and cook to dissolve. Add remaining ingredients and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Put your rinsed turkey into a brining bag in kitchen sink. Pour brine mixture into bag and over the top of the turkey. Swish everything around so that the turkey is well covered. Squeeze as much air out of the bag as you can and seal it securely with a twist tie or a clip. Put the turkey inside a second plastic bag and place it in an ice chest with ice and water, so bagged turkey is completely submerged. Brine for 12 to 24 hours, turning periodically.
THIS SERVES WELL WITH