Zoodles with sausage and rapini
Classic and healthy
This zoodle recipe uses the classic pasta combination of rapini (also called broccoli rabe), Italian sausage, a little lemon juice and generous seasoning with red pepper flakes. I toss it all together with some spiralized zucchini noodles.
Rapini is a seriously healthy crucifer that is loaded with cancer-fighting, bone-strengthening, heart-healthy, anti-inflammatory nutrients.
Quick, easy and weeknight friendly
This dish comes together in about half an hour, making it perfect for a quick weeknight meal.
I use the Paderno spiralizer straight blade to create ribbon cut zoodles. These spiral cut zucchini ribbons are sturdy enough to hold up to the sausage and rapini. This tool is under $35, is fun to use, and is a great answer for adding more vegetables to your diet and reducing your carb intake.
I use a food processor to mince the garlic and chop the onions. Mince the garlic first by whirling it in the food processor. Then add the onion and pulse until you get a medium chop. By cooking the onions and garlic together you save a step and your garlic doesn't burn.
I use a 14" non-stick Bialetti skillet I bought at Costco years ago to saute the zoodles. It was a bargain and it is my go-to tool when I am cooking for a large crowd or don't want to overcrowd my vegetables. If you are using a smaller skillet, you may want to divide the zoodles into two batches.
Zoodles rule of thumb
I use two small zucchini per person. This dish is easy to size up or down.
Zoodles with sausage and rapini
Yield 4 servings
A classic pasta of rapini, sausage and red pepper flakes, remade for zoodles, makes for a healthy and quick weeknight meal.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed and broken into 1" pieces
- 1 bunch rapini, chopped into 2" pieces
- 8 small zucchini, washed and ends trimmed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1-2 pinches red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Using the straight blade, spiralize your zucchini. When all of the zucchinis are sliced, use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut the spiralized noodles into 6" pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the largest skillet you have over a medium flame. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and when the oil is hot add your garlic and onion and saute for about 5 minutes until cooked through.
- Add your sausage pieces to the pan and cook until the sausage is cooked through. Remove sausage and onions from the pan and keep warm.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the hot pan and saute the rapini for 3-4 minutes until al dente. Add the rapini to the bowl with the sausage and onions and set aside.
- Heat the pan over a medium-high heat and add another tablespoon of olive oil to the the pan. When the pan is hot, drop in your zoodles and toss with the olive oil. Add lemon juice and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the onion, sausage and rapini back to the pan. Season with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Cook just long enough to heat everything through.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese.
THIS SERVES WELL WITH