Spicy Chicken With Mango And Corn Salsa
Full-flavored Weeknight Meal
Just because it is a time-pressed weeknight, it doesn’t mean that you have to skimp on flavor or the quality of your dinner. This easy chicken dish can be assembled in 30 minutes. You can make the salsa a day in advance or prepare it while the chicken is cooking. The salsa provides a great “eat your colors” accompaniment that is rich in vitamins and antioxidants. You can read my posts on mangos, red peppers, corn, ginger and cilantro to learn more about the nutrition in these healthful ingredients as well as shortcut tricks for preparing and cutting them.
I use my Cuisinart grill pan to sear this chicken and then transfer it to the oven for a few minutes to finish. This technique is my go-to way of quickly preparing perfect steak, fish or chicken every time. I love this pan, but I know it is a significant investment.
A significantly more economical alternative is the Lodge grill pan, which I have not personally used, but it gets great ratings on Amazon.
Click to download our free e-cookbook: 15 Recipes To Make You Look Like A Star
Cook Once, Eat Twice
Make a few extra pieces of chicken for a southwestern salad later in the week. Combine Little Gem or Romaine lettuce with tomatoes, corn, green or red onions, avocado, cucumber and feta cheese. If you have left over mango and corn salsa, toss this into the salad, too.
One of the reasons this chicken is quick to cook and tender is that I tenderize it with a OXO SoftWorks Meat Tenderizermeat tenderizer. Use the flat surface to thin the chicken and the textured surface to tenderize. Works great on beef, chicken, pork and turkey.
Spicy Chicken With Mango And Corn Salsa
Flavorful, healthy and perfect for a quick weeknight meal. This spicy chicken is paired with a fresh fruit salsa that cools the heat and tantalizes the tongue.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Cuisine: Southwestern, New American
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped into 1/4” cubes
- 1 ear of corn, husked and kernels removed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into ¼” pieces
- 3 T red onion, chopped
- Lime zest from 1 lime
- 2 T lime juice
- 1 T finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 handful of mint, torn
- 1/4 t chili powder
- 2 t cumin
- 2 t kosher salt
- 2 t brown sugar
- 2 t Spanish paprika
- 2 t chili powder
- ½ t Fresh ground pepper
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Combine first 10 ingredients in a small bowl. Season with kosher salt and pepper and adjust seasonings to taste. Set aside while you prepare the chicken. Alternatively, the salsa can be prepared in advance, covered and stored in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine the next 6 ingredients together in a small bowl (cumin, kosher salt, brown sugar, Spanish paprika, chili powder and fresh ground pepper). Set aside.
- Using a meat tenderizer, gently pound each piece of chicken until it is about ½” thick. Rub each piece of chicken with spice mixture, coating all sides.
- Heat an oven-proof grill pan, cast iron skillet or non-stick pan to medium high. Add olive oil and coat bottom of pan well. I use a paper towel to rub the oil into all the ridges to make sure my grill pan is well coated. Sear chicken on both sides and finish in the oven for 8 minutes.
- Plate each piece of chicken and serve it with a couple heaping spoonfuls of the mango and corn salsa.
Delicious meal! AND a great recipe for a son to look for when he promises to make his mom dinner!
I’m so glad you and your mom enjoyed the meal Trevor! Nothing like cooking for mom to win you BIG points!
This has become one of our go to favorites! Just delicious!!
So glad you like the dish Ruby! I think you might also like my Peach & Chicken Skillet Dinner. It is not as spicy as my mango Chicken, but the flavors are delicious!
Just made this for dinner – so EASY and so YUMMY! Will definitely be making this again – thank you Kim!
So glad you enjoyed it Stacy!