There is nothing like fresh ceviche
On a recent trip to the Florida Keys with our friends Barbara and George we had the good fortune to catch some fish. What do you make when you have really fresh fish? Make ceviche of course!
We had lots of fish to choose from for our ceviche and plenty to share.
No measuring needed
When you are making ceviche on a boat, there is a good chance you won't be measuring. Use what you have on hand, taste it and adjust the seasoning.
The three most important ingredients for ceviche are very fresh fish, citrus and some type of onion. After that, you can add a variety of ingredients to customize your ceviche - avocado, tomatoes, celery, pieces of orange, shrimp, octopus, parsley, coconut milk and more.
How long to marinate
This is a matter of personal taste. Some people serve ceviche right away. Others marinate it for 10 - 15 minutes and still others like to marinate their ceviche for hours. If I have the good fortune to have very fresh fish, I go the 10 - 15 minute route, because who can wait? The fish definitely changes character over time as the acid breaks down the flesh, and I feel you lose some of the fresh goodness over time. While I prefer my ceviche marinated for only a few minutes, I have never passed up leftover ceviche the next day. After about 24 hours, however, I think you have entered the over-marinated stage and are heading for the no-good stage.
Yield 4 -6 servings
Fresh ceviche is my go-to recipe when I have really fresh fish. It takes about 15 minutes to make and is always appreciated. Scoop it up with tortilla chips for a mighty fine appetizer.
- 1 pound very fresh fish such as sea bass, halibut or mahi mahi, chopped in 1/4 - 1/2" chunks
- 1 red pepper, chopped in 1/4- 1/2" pieces
- 1 tomato, chopped in 1/4 - 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, finely minced (optional)
- 1 - 2 jalapenos, seeded, and finely minced
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup citrus juice (lime, lemon and orange juice or a mixture)
- Salt and pepper
- Tortilla chips
- Combine fish, red pepper, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, garlic and jalapenos. Toss with citrus juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Let marinate 10 to 20 minutes and serve with tortilla chips.
THIS SERVES WELL WITH