Watermelon, tomato and strawberry salad with burrata
This has to be THE quintessential summer salad. Sweet watermelon, vine-ripened tomatoes and juicy strawberries, on top of melt-in-your-mouth burrata, sprinkled with fresh herbs and pine nuts. It is simply delicious. I make extra so I can have leftovers for breakfast.
Fast and easy
Summer is not the time to be slaving away in the kitchen. This salad is made in 15 minutes start to finish. No need to turn on the oven!
Inspired by Andrew Weil's True Food recipe
I was inspired to make this salad after eating a similar one at True Food, that combines red and yellow watermelon, heirloom and cherry tomatoes, goat cheese and cashews. I use the same simple dressing that they use at True Foods, made with white balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Andrew Weil's cookbook, True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple and Pure includes their recipe for Watermelon and Tomato salad as well as a host of other great, fresh and flavorful recipes.
I admire what they are doing at True Foods. After I have eaten there I feel I have done something good for my body. Isn't that the way it should always be after a meal?
Get our free cookbook: 15 Recipes That Will Make You Look Like A Star
Use kitchen shears to cut strips of mint. This method prevents bruising.
There are lots of variations on this salad. Use whatever is in season and flavorful. When peaches are in their prime, they make a great addition to this addictive salad.
- 1 burrata cheese
- 2 pounds watermelon, cut into 1½ " cubes
- 1¾ pounds heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1½" cubes
- 1 pint strawberries, trimmed and halved
- 2 T basil, chiffonade
- 2 T mint, chiffonade
- 3 T pinenuts
- 2 T white balsamic vinegar
- 2 T olive oil
- Maldon salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Using your hands open a burrata cheese and spread it over a serving platter. Scatter watermelon, tomatoes and strawberries over the burrata. Sprinkle with herbs and pinenuts.
- Put vinegar in a small bowl and whisk in olive oil to create an emulsion. Drizzle the dressing over the fruit and season with salt and pepper.
THIS SERVES WELL WITH