I am not a big fan of classic mayo-dressed coleslaw. I came up with this recipe to serve on pulled pork sandwiches, but it can also be served as a salad. This slaw has an Asian kick to it, using fresh ginger, rice vinegar and a splash of fish sauce for the dressing. As a nod to classic coleslaw I add fresh pineapple.
Yield 6 servings
Asian flavored coleslaw is crisp, colorful and tasty. Serve it as a salad or layer it in your pulled pork sandwich.
- 1/4 head red cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1/4 head green cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1/2 large red pepper, julienned
- 2 green onions, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 2 T fresh lime juice
- 2 t brown sugar
- 1 T fish sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup dry roasted, salted peanuts
- Put first 7 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- For the dressing, whisk together remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss coleslaw with dressing and refrigerate for at least one hour. The colder the better. Just before serving scatter dry-roasted peanuts on top of the salad.
THIS SERVES WELL WITH