Easy Week-Night Chicken
Quick, Juicy and Delicious
This easy weeknight chicken is the bomb. Throw together a 3-minute marinade in the morning, come home at night and have dinner on the table in 20 minutes. I make extra so I can use it in salads and sandwiches later in the week.
You need two things for this recipe: 1) a fine microplane to make the lemon zest, and 2) a good oven-proof skillet. Cast iron works well and Lodge makes a great pan for an even greater value. Cast iron does require a little special love and maintenance. I like my Le Creuset grill pan for the cute seared marks it leaves. I also have a 12" Staub cast iron skillet that has great surface area for larger quantities. For non-stick I like Scanpans.
For the marinade you just need and acid and an oil. You can substitute limes or vinegar for the lemon juice. You can add additional flavorings to the dressing including fresh and dried herbs, garlic, shallots or onions.
Cook Once Eat Twice
This is a great dish to make extras for so you can cook once and eat twice. The chicken can be used in a variety of salads including:
- Easy Chicken Tacos with Minted Tomatillo Sauce
- Italian Chicken Chopped Salad
- Chicken, Berry Date and Candied Walnut Salad
- Chicken Frisee Salad with Roasted Peppers, Manchego and Spanish Paprika
Don't Wash Your Chicken
I know, this sounds terrible, but it has been scientifically proven. See my post on why washing your chicken is a bad idea. This tip will make your cooking life a lot easier and healthier.
It is All About the Technique
If you like this chicken, check out our post The Easiest, Most Reliable Method for Cooking Chicken, steak, Fish and Rack of Lamb.Print
Easy Week-Night Chicken
A quick and easy method for cooking chicken on busy weeknights that is guaranteed to come out juicy and delicious every time.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Cuisine: New American
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh or dried herbs and chopped garlic (optional)
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 3.5 pounds
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Put the lemon zest and lemon juice in a small bowl. whisk in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add herbs and garlic if you want.
- Place chicken in a small glass container or a plastic bag and add marinade, thoroughly coating all the chicken pieces. Marinate for 2 hours or more.
- Heat a cast iron or oven-proof nonstick skillet over a medium high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and transfer to hot skillet. Sear on each side and transfer to the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.