Roasted Cauliflower and Black Rice Salad
This deliciously healthy black rice salad is elegant enough to serve to guests, easy enough to cook on a busy week night and delicious enough to eat all the time. I developed this dish one night when I was looking for something a little more interesting to do with my roasted cauliflower. Plating it on a bed of black rice and garnishing with chili oil, feta and green onions was the answer. It is a surprisingly delicious, albeit simple, black rice salad and something I will make regularly.
Click to download our free e-cookbook: 15 Recipes To Make You Look Like A Star
Black RiceBlack rice is actually purple, but it is so intensely purple that it looks black. You will see after it is cooked the purple color becomes more apparent. Black rice is abundantly nutritious with more antioxidants than blueberries. It has a nutty taste and chewy texture and is higher in fiber, iron and protein than white or brown rice. In ancient China black rice was known as forbidden rice because only royalty could afford to eat it and it was thus forbidden to the masses. Thankfully, black rice is now available to the regular folk and can be found at many grocery stores, Asian markets and Amazon.
Note: SNFD is an Amazon affiliate and we may make a small commission when you purchase through our links. Your support is always appreciated!
Garnishment for this Black Rice SaladWhile the black rice and roasted cauliflower would be delicious alone, a little garnishment takes this black rice salad up a notch or two. I use a little regular olive oil as well as some hot chili oil, which give the dish some welcome heat. Or sometimes I use just chili oil. Stonehouse Olive Oil makes an excellent olive oil-based chili oil, or you can use Chinese chili oil or even make your own. A little feta provides some salty goodness and the green onion adds both color and flavor. I like to serve this dish on a bed of spinach or arugula, for extra nourishment and visual color.
Serve With:This cauliflower and black rice salad is delicious with fish, particularly:
- Miso Marinated Black Cod
- Baked Fish with Almond, Panko and Parmesan Crust
- Swordfish, Mushrooms, Lemons and Capers
- Grilled Branzino with Lime and Herbs
More Black Rice RecipePrint
Roasted Cauliflower and Black Rice Salad
An easy, healthy and delicious warm rice salad that incorporates uber healthy black rice and cauliflower. Make a vegan version by skipping the feta cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 2 - 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner, Lunch
- Cuisine: New American, Asian
- 1 cup black rice
- 1 3/4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 head cauliflower
- Splash olive oil
- Splash of chili oil
- 1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- 2 green onions, sliced, including green and white parts
- 3 ounces baby spinach or arugula (optional)
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees. Rinse black rice well and place in a pot. Add chicken or vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 30 minutes until rice is al dente and the liquid has been absorbed. Check to see if it is drying out too quickly and add a little more broth if needed. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- Cut cauliflower into bite-sized florets and put on baking sheet. Sprinkle with a splash of olive oil and toss with your hands to fully cover. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Place in the hot oven and roast for about 20 minutes until fork tender, turning once half way through.
- If using spinach or arugula, place a layer of spinach over a shallow platter. Spread black rice over spinach and top with cauliflower. Drizzle with olive oil and chili oil and garnish with feta cheese and green onions.
There are many different types of black rice and the different varieties may have different cooking requirements. Double check your package instructions for the specific cooking times and rice to liquid volume. Also avoid glutinous black rice for this recipe.
THIS SERVES WELL WITH