Strawberry, blueberry, spinach & quinoa summer salad
Isn't it nice when something tastes great and is also packed full of great nutrition? This summer salad has it all: strawberries, blueberries, dates, spinach, micro arugula, mint, basil, quinoa and walnuts. Chopped roast chicken provides protein, and a bit of crumbled feta and a balsamic vinegar dressing brings it all together.
Quick, easy and perfect for a summer day
This salad is quick and easy to make. Go easy on yourself and purchase a roast chicken, or use my Beer can chicken recipe to roast a great chicken with about 5 minutes of preparation. Read my post on quinoa for tips on how to wash and prepare quinoa. See my basil post on how to chiffonade basil.
Get our free cookbook: 15 Recipes That Will Make You Look Like A Star
Easily adaptable for special diets
Gluten-free, you can easily adapt this recipe to accomodate other dietary restrictions. Delete the chicken for vegetarians and the feta for those following a paleo diet or are sensitive to dairy.
- 4.5 T olive oil, divided
- ¼ onion, chopped
- ½ cup quinoa, washed
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ small shallot, minced
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- Maldon salt to taste
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1.5 ounces micro arugula
- 2 - 3 cups, chopped roast chicken (optional)
- ½ pound strawberries, hulled, and sliced
- 4.5 ounces blueberries
- 10 medjool dates, pitted and sliced lengthwise into quarters
- 20 large mint leaves, chopped
- 10 large basil leaves, chiffonade
- 3 ounces feta, crumbled
- ¾ cup walnuts, chopped
- Heat 1 T olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté, stirring for about 5 minutes until onions are soft. Add quinoa and broth, stir to mix. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork an allow to cool.
- Make salad dressing by putting minced shallots in a small bowl. Add balsamic vinegar. Slowly whisk in olive oil to create an emulsion. Season with salt an pepper. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl put spinach, micro arugula, roast chicken, cooled quinoa, strawberries, blueberries, dates, mint, basil, feta and walnuts. Toss with the dressing. Transfer to a serving platter or bowl.
THIS SERVES WELL WITH