Jicama, cucumber and citrus salad
Mexican fruit and vegetable carts
This salad is inspired by the Mexican fruit and vegetable street carts we are fortunate to have in Los Angeles. These street vendors will let you select your favorite fresh fruits and vegetables. They slice them up to your order, season with lime, chili and salt and you are good to go. You get a huge serving of fruits and vegetables and they charge only a few dollars.
Jicama, a favorite warm-weather vegetable
Jicama is one of my favorite warm-weather ingredients. Its sweet, crunchy and crisp texture is wonderful on a hot day. I like using jicama in salads to create a low-calorie and refreshing side dish to serve with more filling dishes such as tacos or enchiladas. Jicama is surprisingly nutrient dense and healthful. To learn more about the health benefits of jicama, a part of jicama to avoid and how to cut and peel jicama see my post.
You can use a variety of citrus for this salad. In the salad I photographed for this post I was lucky to have found some pomelo, a favorite of mine, that I thought was already out of season. Tangerines, oranges or grapefruits, or a mix of citrus also work well in this recipe. If you are using pomelo, follow the directions in my pomelo post to learn how to peel and pith pomelo.
Get our free cookbook: 15 Recipes That Will Make You Look Like A Star
Serve in chilled glasses
I like to serve this salad in chilled glasses. Rinse your glasses in water and place in the freezer for 20 minutes. Spoon the salad into the chilled glasses and serve immediately.
- 1 medium jicama
- 4 small Persian cucumbers
- 2 cups citrus, peeled, membranes removed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into ½" pieces
- ¾ red onion, finely diced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely minced
- 6 T lime juice
- 1 t cayenne pepper
- 1 t Maldon salt
- 1 lime cut into wedges for garnish
- Peel and cut the jicama into ½" cubes and put into a large bowl. Using a vegetable peeler remove strips of the cucumber skin so that the cucumber has strips of green and white. Slice the cucumber in quarters lengthwise and then slice each length into pieces. Add to the bowl.
- Peel and remove membranes from the citrus. Divide the pithed citrus segments into bite-sized pieces and add to the bowl.
- Add bell pepper, onions, cilantro and jalapeno to the bowl. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with lime juice, cayenne pepper and salt and toss lightly again.
THIS SERVES WELL WITH