Za’atar chicken kabobs with zucchini & red onion
Kabobs make dinner quick
When you don't want to spend a lot of time on dinner, kabobs are the answer. Load up your skewers with a combination of meat and vegetables, throw them on the grill and you are good to go.
Za'atar and lemon
Za'atar is a Middle Eastern spice blend that varies by region, by brand and by household, but usually includes: thyme, marjoram, oregano, ground sesame seeds and sumac. Check out my post to learn more about za'atar. Za'atar adds great flavor to these quick and easy kabobs. I marinate them in lemon juice, garlic, za'atar and a little extra sumac -- much the same ingredients that I use for Za'atar and lemon grilled chicken.
If you have the time, the kabobs benefit greatly from a day or two of marinating time, but even an hour will impart flavor and tenderness.
My favorite skewers
I love these skewers. They are extra long, sharp, they last for ever and you can flip them over on the grill without the ingredients spinning. I highly recommend them. Just be careful they do get hot so you need to use a hot pad or a glove when you are grilling with them.
More kabob recipes
If you like kabobs, check out these recipes:
These kabobs go great with:
- Ottolenghi's Burnt eggplant and yogurt dip (a version of baba ghanoush)
- Ottolenghi's fried chickpea salad
- Some fried halloumi cheese
- Grilled pita bread
Za'atar chicken kabobs with zucchini & red onion
Yield 6 kabobs
Za'atar and lemon juice gives these easy chicken, zucchini and onion kabobs a Middle Eastern vibe. Serve with tabouli, pita and some baba ghanoush or tzatziki sauce.
For the marinade
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 c za'atar
- 1 T sumac
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the kabobs
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, chopped into 2" pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1" thick segments
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into 6 wedges
- Whisk together the ingredients for the marinade. Put the chicken pieces in a large ziplock bag or in the bottom of a shallow bowl. Pour the marinade on top of the chicken and use your hands to make sure every piece is well coated. Refrigerate for an hour or up to two days.
- Heat the grill to medium high when you are ready to prepare the kabobs. Thread each skewer with 2 pieces of chicken, a zucchini disk, 2 more pieces of chicken, a wedge of onion, 2 pieces of chicken, a zucchini disk and two more pieces of chicken. Grill on medium to medium high heat for about 20 minutes, until chicken is done, turning frequently.
THIS SERVES WELL WITH