When Ceviche Marries GazpachoThis mouth-watering cold soup is perfect for celebrating spring and summer tomatoes. Somewhere between a gazpacho and a ceviche, this recipe is quick to prepare. Just remember to allow several hours to chill. Take advantage of backyard or farmer's market tomatoes, be sure to use a great olive oil and Jerez vinegar. I use a combination of larger hand-chopped vegetables and finer food processor-chopped vegetables to create texture and depth. I recommend pre-chilling individual glass serving bowls for a frosty presentation. Make a big batch because you will want to eat it again the next day. You can double or triple the recipe for a large group.
This soup combines the best of gazpacho and ceviche. Use vine-ripened tomatoes to celebrate the warm weather with this chilly soup.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 2 cloves garlic, finely choppped
- 2 T lime juice
- 2 T Spanish Jerez vinegar
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 pound cooked shrimp, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 pound canned crab, drained
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped into 1/4” pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped into 1/4” pieces
- 1 English hothouse cucumber, seeded and chopped into 1/4” pieces
- 4 green onions, green and white parts, chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 – 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped (adjust to your own heat preferences)
- Up to 2 cups V-8 juice, adjust to your preferred consistency
- Sea salt to taste
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Lemon or lime wedges
- Croutons (optional)
- 1 avocado, diced
- Tabasco or Sriracha sauce
- Whisk together first 5 ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Add shrimp and crab and toss. Cover and refrigerate while you chop the vegetables.
- Combine all the hand-chopped vegetables in a large bowl. Remove about 1/4 of the vegetables and put in a food processor fitted with the chopping blade. Pulse a few times to get a finer chop and then return to the hand-chopped vegetable bowl. Add shrimp/crab mixture to vegetables.
- Add V-8 juice until you like the consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill for several hours before serving.
- Serve in pre-chilled individual glass bowls. Garnish with diced avocado, croutons and lime or lemon wedges. Drizzle with a great olive oil and pass tabasco or Sriracha sauce to individualize the heat.