Strawberry Kale Salad
Celebrate Strawberry Season with this Strawberry Kale SaladSpring is for strawberries and even with covid-19 hindering our shopping there are ways to get great field-ripened strawberries in Southern California. Your best bet is to subscribe to a CSA or check out Fresh Direct or Tender Greens, two new options that will deliver to your home. (Note, I have not tried them yet.) I have been using Tanaka Farms CSA and their online ordering and curbside pick up. Their strawberries are amazing and their curbside pickup also offers kale and dates needed for this Strawberry and Kale Salad recipe.
Why This Strawberry Kale Salad WorksThere are several reasons this Strawberry Kale Salad works so well. First of all the recipe includes a lot of complementary flavors. The sweet tart strawberries pair well with the slightly bitter kale and the ultra sweet dates tie everything together nicely. The toasted almonds add crunch and massaging your kale mellows the flavor and tones down the fibrousness of the kale. (See more about massaging your kale below.)
Massage Your KaleSome people have a little trouble with kale and it's ultra ruffage texture. The answer to making kale more palatable is to massage it with some citrus and salt. Yes, give your kale the spa treatment you would like to have for yourself. Massaging it helps break down the fibers and mellows the taste. And the great news is you can massage your kale up to a day in advance. Learn more about kale here, including its impressive nutritional value.
Add Chicken for a Heartier MealI love this Strawberry and Kale Salad exactly as is, but if you want to get fancy you can add some shredded chicken or crumbled feta.
Make in AdvanceYou can prepare most of this Strawberry and Kale Salad up to 24 hours in advance. Make the dressing and massage the kale and then let it sit in the fridge for up to a day. Right before you are ready to serve add a couple tablespoons of olive oil and massage briefly. Then add the remaining ingredients, toss and you are ready to serve.
This delicious and healthy salad will be on my weekly rotation as long as strawberries are in season.
More Great Strawberry RecipesPrint
Strawberry Kale Salad
Fresh strawberries are the star of this Strawberry Kale Salad. The sweet strawberries complement the slightly bitter kale. Toasted almonds, sweet dates and mild red onions tie it all together. The kale is massaged with a shallot, honey and lemon dressing that breaks the kale down into a very edible green.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Cuisine: New American
For the dressing:
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 2 T)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 T honey
- 1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 t kosher salt
For the salad:
- 1 bunch kale either curly or laciento, stems removed and torn into 2 – 3” pieces
- 2 T good quality olive oil
- 1 basket fresh strawberries, cored and quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 c toasted sliced almonds
- 3 T thinly sliced red onions
- In a small bowl, whisk the shallots, lemon juice and honey. Season with red pepper flakes and salt.
- Put the kale into a large bowl and add the dressing. Using your hands massage the kale so every leaf is coated. Continue to massage until the kale begins to change. It will become softer and darker. You can massage just a little or really go for it to break down the kale. It is a personal choice as to how much you massage the kale. Allow the kale to sit for 20 minutes, then add the olive oil and toss with your hands until all the leaves are well-coated in olive oil. This step can be done up to 24 hours in advance.
- Add strawberries, dates, almonds and red onions. Toss and serve.